Six partners from Europe and six from Southern Mediterranean countries (Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia) gathered on February 23-24, 2017 in Rome at UNIMED premises for the Kick-off meeting of the DIRE-MED project (Dialogue Interculturel, REseaux et Mobilité en MEDiterranée, coordinated by UNIMED – Mediterranean Universities Union.
DIRE-MED is an international cooperation project selected for co-funding under the Erasmus + Capacity Building in Higher Education programme during the period 15 October 2016 – 14 October 2019.
During the two-day event, the participants discussed how to establish a long-lasting relationship of mutual trust, understanding and intercultural awareness among Mediterranean countries promoting the mobility and exchange of people and in longer term, a major economic and cultural integration of the region.
Download the agenda of the meeting here.
By fostering university cooperation, DIRE-MED aims at:
- Creating a framework of cooperation to facilitate the exchange of students, academic and non-academic staff of HEIs in the Mediterranean Basin. The actions planned by the project will increase the competitiveness of the universities and help to strengthen cooperation between them (South-South) and between them and Europe.
- Articulating the university-enterprise cooperation through the promotion of the intercultural dialogue and by strengthening the international and the entrepreneurial spirit in the region that will boost the labor market.
- Providing capacity building for the staff of the International Relation Offices of the HEIs from the partner countries in order to set them up as “International Opportunities Offices”. The International Opportunities Offices will act as internationalisation hubs within their institution and their region, leading the promotion of international opportunities and mobility for education and training purposes in their area and promoting the internationalisation of their universities.
- Influencing institutional and political policies in order to consolidate, improve and develop new programs and initiatives.
Members of the Consortium:
UNIMED, Mediterranean Universities Union (Coordinator)
- UNICT, Università di Catania, Italy
- UP1, Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, France
- PACA, Conseil régional de Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, France
- EUSA, Estudios Universitaires et Superiores d’Andalousie, Spain
- INCOMA, International Consulting and Mobility Agency SL, Spain
- UAE, Université Abdelmalek Essaâdi, Morocco
- IAV Hassan II, Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hassan II, Morocco
- Sétif 2, Université Mohamed Lamine Debaghine de Sétif 2, Algeria
- Alger 1 Université d’Alger 1 Benyoucef Benkhedda, Algeria
- UTM, Université de Tunis Al Manar, Tunisia
- UCAR, Université de Carthage, Tunisia