Openness in Higher Education seems to be common sense for the equal and democratic access to knowledge. Stimulating supply and demand for high-quality OERs is essential for modernising education. If universities really want to find more resources to invest in better teaching and research, it is essential that the open sharing of resources is encouraged. Knowledge must be shared and spread, teachers encouraged to network and collaborate on course development and institutions discouraged from fragmentation and all producing their own slight variations on the same course.
Using freely available resources teachers and students can together collaborate on compiling course material and resources, opening up the classrooms to new forms of learning. The learning experience will be greatly enhanced due to greater involvement.
Before this can be realised, we need a change in attitudes towards what we mean by education, teaching and learning. We need new attitudes towards collaboration and new literacy.
OpenMED explores the adoption of strategies and channels that embrace the principles of openness and reusability within the context of South-Mediterranean Higher Education institutions. The project intends to foster the adoption and pilot of open educational practices (OEP), and open educational resources (OER) in South-Mediterranean countries as a bottom-up approach to support the modernisation, accessibility and internationalization of HEIs. The initiative also opens the possibility to provide free educational resources for self-learners, in terms of informal and lifelong learning.
Project related news:
- Webinar recording: Open education in the South Mediterranean
- OpenMed final conference in Rome confirms commitment to opening up education in South Mediterranean Universities
- An Open Future for Mediterranean Higher Education: conference on October 10th, 2018
- OpenMed final conference on Open Education Future for Mediterranean Higher Education
- Open Licensing in the Erasmus+ CBHE projects: webinar recording
- Webinar: Open Licensing in the Erasmus+ CBHE Projects
- OpenMed: Joint Venture Project
- OpenMed celebrates the Open Education Week 2018
- Open Education Day Morocco 2018 at Cadi Ayyad University
- Open Education Days 2018 in Marrakesh
- Webinar series on Open Education: recordings are now available
- Building bridges to open up Education in the Mediterranean
- Webinar: Opening up education through OER and MOOC
- Webinar series on Open Education
- Open Revision of the capacity building course on Open Education
- Petition to support Morocco in achieving the vision of Open Education: the OER Morocco Declaration
- Get involved in opening up education in the South Mediterranean countries
- GO-GN Webinar on OpenMed on June 7th
- OpenMed Strategy Forum in Palestine
- Pre-Announcement of the OpenMed training course on Open Education in the Arab Mediterranean countries
- OpenMed Celebrates the Open Education Week
- OER Strategy Forum in Amman on February 28, 2017
- Executive Summary of the OpenMed Compendium of Case Studies about OE now available in Arabic and French
- 3 minutes about Open Education
- Happy Open and Free 2017 from OpenMed
- OpenMed: Yes We Can Inchallah: Morocco OER Strategy Forum
- OpenMed: Egypt OER Strategy Forum
- Save the Date! OER Strategy Forums in Egypt and Morocco!
- Compendium of case studies about Open Education in the Mediterranean
- Open Education Week 2016: Open Educational Resources and practices in the Arab Mediterranean region
- OpenMed project Kick-Off meeting: January 13-15, 2016 in Rome