The project Enbrain, Building capacity in Renewable and sustAINable ENERrgy for Libya is a ERAMUS+ project within Key Action 2 (KA2): Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices – Capacity Building in the field of Higher education. Enbrain comes from the vision that despite the pressing need to tackle the energy challenge, the world is still stuck in taking a resolute action. It is therefore needed to promote education in the energy field capable to grasp the energy question as a pillar of the sustainability challenge. In this scenario, educational institutions, acting within their surroundings, become a fundamental player to create and empower new professional and future generations able to cope and implement the new paradigms.
Libya has the largest proven oil reserves in Africa as well as a huge potential for renewable energy. However, Libya is not even among the list of the countries that are using wind power. The country still depends on fossil fuels to meet increasing energy demands. Above all, the current conflict and its reflection on the energy scene have led to the unavoidable conclusion of promoting renewable energy and energy efficiency actions.
In line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its focus on people, the cross-cutting role of human capital becomes crucial to achieve a transformative change in energy – that is efficient, effective, equitable, empowering, and long lasting.
General aims of the project are to:
- Raise awareness about the importance of a multi-dimensional approach to the global energy challenge;
- Reinforce the role of Libya universities to promote energy transition within the multidimensional targets of sustainability;
- Create a new class of thinkers able to cope with global energy challenges, envisage future targets for local community, support institutions in decision-making, engage citizens in sustainable practices.
Specific achievements of the projects are to:
- Design of a Master in Renewable and Sustainable Energy with a multi-level approach to capacity building;
- Pilot start-up multi-disciplinary seed-courses and curricula about Renewable and Sustainable Energy, using digital tools and with a linkage to the international community and the needs of the job market;
- Create an open platform to engage citizens in renewable and sustainable energy via the creation of a MOOC for citizens.
To follow the developments of the Enbrain project and stay updated on news and achievements:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/enbrainproject/