Openness in Higher Education seems to be common sense for the equal and democratic access to knowledge. Stimulating supply and demand for high-quality OERs is essential for modernising education. If universities really want to find more resources to invest in better teaching and research, it is essential that the open sharing of resources is encouraged. Knowledge must be shared and spread, teachers encouraged to network and collaborate on course development and institutions discouraged from fragmentation and all producing their own slight variations on the same course.
Using freely available resources teachers and students can together collaborate on compiling course material and resources, opening up the classrooms to new forms of learning. The learning experience will be greatly enhanced due to greater involvement.
Before this can be realised, we need a change in attitudes towards what we mean by education, teaching and learning. We need new attitudes towards collaboration and new literacy.
OpenMED explores the adoption of strategies and channels that embrace the principles of openness and reusability within the context of South-Mediterranean Higher Education institutions. The project intends to foster the adoption and pilot of open educational practices (OEP), and open educational resources (OER) in South-Mediterranean countries as a bottom-up approach to support the modernisation, accessibility and internationalization of HEIs. The initiative also opens the possibility to provide free educational resources for self-learners, in terms of informal and lifelong learning.
Project related news:
- Open Revision of the OpenMed Training Course on Open Education
- Petition to support Morocco in achieving the vision of Open Education: the OER Morocco Declaration
- GO-GN Webinar on OpenMed on June 7th
- Open Education per il cambiamento sociale: seminario a Bologna
- OpenMed Celebrates the Open Education Week
- Compendio dei Casi di Studio sulle Risorse Educative Aperte nel Mediterraneo
- Save the Date! Forum in Egitto e Marocco per definire una Strategia nazionale per l’Educazione Aperta!
- UNIMED alla Prima edizione del Seminario Internazionale sulle Risorse Educative Aperte in Tunisia, 27 ottobre 2016
- Scopri la Palestina! Il nuovo MOOC dell'Università An-Najah di Nablus inizia il 1 giugno
- OpenMed Open Symposium, Università di Coventry, 3 maggio 2016
- Open Education Week 2016: Open Educational Resources and practices in the Arab Mediterranean region
- OpenMed project Kick-Off meeting: January 13-15, 2016 in Rome
- OpenMed: un projet sur les ressources éducatives libres dans la Méditerranée
- OpenMed: un progetto sulle "risorse educative aperte" nel Mediterraneo