Five partners from Europe and five from Palestine are gathering on February 16-17, 2017 in Rome at UNIMED premises for the Kick-off meeting of the UniGov project (Improving Governance Practices and Palestinian Higher Education Institutions), coordinated by An Najah National University of Nablus.
UniGov is an international cooperation project selected for co-funding under the Erasmus + Capacity Building in Higher Education programme during the period 15 October 2016 – 14 October 2019.
During the two-day event, the participants will how to support the modernisation, accessibility, and internationalization of HEIs in Palestine, through addressing five crosscutting aspects of governance.
Download the agenda of the meeting here.
UniGov seeks to support the modernisation, accessibility, and internationalization of HEIs in Palestine, through addressing five cross-cutting aspects of governance.
More specifically, this project seeks to:
- Create an enabling environment to adopt decent governance, management and accountability practices
- Establish a clear governance framework, including well-defined and clear mission and goals.
- Establish an effective governance and management structures
- Stimulate autonomy and accountability,
- Strengthen links with different stakeholders (i.e. improve participation) in strategic planning and development activities (this will reduce the gap between recent graduates and the industry).
UniGov seeks to address weaknesses in the existing governance systems across HEIs in Palestine. By establishing a comparative study with European benchmark universities, the project seeks to establish a governance framework and then adopt innovative practices to improve existing structures.
UniGov also aims at improving the quality of higher education in Palestinian universities as it will improve the communication between the university and the labor market/other stakeholders (increase participation). In addition, it will form a strong base for the university excellence toward internationalization through establishing partnerships with European institutions.
Members of the Consortium:
- ANNU, An-Najah National University in Nablus, Palestine (coordinator)
- BZU, Birzeit University, Palestine
- IUG, The Islamic University of Gaza, Palestine
- AAUJ, Arab American University Jenin, Palestine
- PPU, Palestine Polytechnic University, Palestine
- UNISI, Università di Siena, Italy
- UL, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- U.C.C. , University College Cork, Ireland
- UNIMED, Mediterranean Universities Union, Italy
- UE, University of Évora, Portugal