The second millennium has brought a new definition of employability. The requests for competences are increasingly demanding and transversal. Our lives are being shaped by « Innovation for entrepreneurship or « entrepreneurship for innovation ». Social development depends on it, and new jobs tend to focus on « graduates offering competences and not graduates simply looking for work». Therefore, Higher Education Institutions cannot distance themselves from the new demands of the job market and must ensure the connection between course offers and the new conditions for employability. In order to guarantee proper communication among stakeholders on the value of knowledge in innovation and on socio-economic advancement, it is important to gather university members, socio-economic decision-makers and ministerial bodies at the same table.
These topics have been discussed from the 4 to the 7 of July during the Lebanese week on Innovation and Entrepreneurship. This event has been organised as part of the RESUME project (RESUME is a European Union Project financed by the Erasmus+ Capacity Building programme).
The inauguration of the Lebanese week took place on the 4 July at the Rectorate of the Lebanese University, together with the 2nd partners meeting of the RESUME project.
The works continued on the 5 and 6 July 2017 at Campus Hadath with the 4th Thematic Conference on « Innovation & entrepreneurship ». The goal of this conference has been to give the HEIs the necessary skills and to start a dialogue among the different stakeholders (HEIs, companies and political bodies) on the common challenge of increasing the employability of young graduates. During the conference, the project partners presented their best practices linked to the topic of innovation. Local and regional experts from the socio-economic environment also presented their experiences on this topic.
The Lebanese week on Innovation and Entrepreneurship ended on the 7 of July at USEK with a field visit and training at the USEK Career Center exclusively for the RESUME project partners. This visit aimed to strengthen the skills of the career centre staff in order to promote the professional insertion of young graduates.
For further information and to download the programme of the three events you can visit the website of the RESUME project : www.resumeproject.eu
The RESUME project aims at enhancing and reinforcing the role and potential of HEIs in the development of employability in the Mediterranean countries by adopting a transversal entrepreneurial mind-set at the HEIs and by opening and structuring the dialogue among the universities, the enterprises and the policy makers.
The RESUME project will address four priority actions established by the EC, the OECD and ETF:
- Establishing inter-ministerial commissions for entrepreneurial learning
- Establishing a platform for the identification and exchange of good practices
- Strengthening co-operation among HEIs and promoting links with business to foster entrepreneurship.
- Establishing an accredited Southern Mediterranean entrepreneurship network paying particular attention to gender issues.
– UNIMED – Mediterranean Universities Union, Italy (coordinator)
– UniME, Università degli Studi di Messina, Italy
– AMU, Université d’Aix-Marseille, France
– UB, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
– AlmaLaurea, Consorzio Interuniversitario Almalaurea, Italy
– VdM, Ville de Marseille, France
– IAV, Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hassan II, Morocco
– UM5R, Université Mohammed V de Rabat, Morocco
– Us, Université de Sousse, Tunisia
– USf, Université de Sfax, Tunisia
– UL, Université Libanaise, Lebanon
– USEK, Université de Saint Esprit- Kaslik, Lebanon
– AFEM, Association de Femmes Chefs d’entreprise, Morocco
– MESFCRS, Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur, de la Recherche Scientifique et de la Formation des Cadres, Morocco
– MESRS, Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur, de la Recherche Scientifique Tunisien, Tunisia
– DGHE, Directorate General Higher Education, Ministry of Education and Higher Education, Lebanon
– ASCAME, Association of the Mediterranean Chambers of Commerce, Spain (associated partner)