UNIMED is present at the Regional MENA conference, “Paradigm Shifts in Tertiary Education: Improved Governance and Quality for Competitiveness and Employability” jointly organized by the World Bank Group, the Algerian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research and the Center for Mediterranean Integration (CMI), in partnership with the British Council, UNESCO Office in Beirut, Regional Bureau of Education for the Arab States, the Association of Arab Universities and the International Association of Universities .
This conference, that will take place in Algiers from May 30 to June 1st, 2016, comes as a fifth in a series of regional conferences organized by the World Bank and the Center for Mediterranean Integration Regional Tertiary Education Program and is part of an overall effort aimed at building capacity in tertiary education institutions across the MENA region; and sharing of best practices on governance, management and quality. Its purpose is to address insufficient access to higher education, inconsistent quality of higher education institutions across the region, and discrepancies between graduates’ skills and the skills demanded by the labor market.
Participants included representatives from the 113 tertiary education institutions network in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, government officials, quality assurance agencies, as well as regional, European and international experts, and discussions focused on:
- Identifying alternative policy options to improve governance and quality assurance in tertiary education as a major path towards competitive economies and societies.
- Developing skills in areas such as institutional planning, performance assessment, development of indicators, financial management and internationalization.
- Addressing the pressing issue of the employability of university graduates.
- Strategizing to attract the participation from institutional representatives from MENA countries not yet participating in the project, and from other regions, especially, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
- Exploring potential synergies in-between programs and facilitating connections among initiatives.
To have more information please visit the website: http://cmimarseille.org/highereducations/conference/