The Horizon 2020 project EUMEPLAT – European Media Platforms: assessing positive and negative externalities for European Culture is launching a Call for Papers for the Gendered Cultures in Platform Economies: Entertainment, Expertise and Online Selfhood international conference to be held in Lisbon on November 20th and 21st, 2023.
EUMEPLAT is a Research and Innovation project funded under the Horizon 2020 Programme, aiming at investigating the role of media platforms in fostering or dismantling European identity through a multidisciplinary analysis that studies indicators related to production, consumption and representation of sensitive issues (gender and immigration) in the ten countries of the partnership.
The Lisbon conference, to be hosted by ISCTE – Instituto Universitário de Lisboa, will explore gender in the context of expert entertainment cultures in platform economics.
The Organising Committee is looking for 250-word abstracts in the following themes:
- Optimizing gender and sexuality
- Optimizing womanhood and motherhood
- Life coaches, self-help gurus and self-curating
- Manosphere, pick up artists and new masculinities
- Prank videos and sexism
- Queer identities between entrepreneurialism and empowerment
- ‘How-to-Succeed’ guides and cultures
- Growing plants and pets
- The performance of gender in animal videos (cuteness/ strength)
- Confidence culture and the psy-industries
- Feel-good economy, therapeutic cultures and neo-spiritualism
- The gendered self as a project and work of art
- Fitness, beauty and the body
- Discipline and self-restraint
- Amateur and professional labour
- Individualized gendered practices Vs. collective mobilization
The deadline to submit abstracts (250-word) is June 9th, 2023.
The Call for Papers and more information about the Conference are available here.