The FAO – Food and Agriculture Organisation, UNIMED’s partner, launched the 2023 Transformative Research Challenge, one of the WFF Innovation lab Competitions which address young researchers and students from all over the world to support our agrifood systems transformation, help end hunger, and accelerate climate action.
In the framework of the 2023 Transformative Research Challenge, the FAO has also launched a Call for mentors and expert reviewers to support and guide young researchers and students.
This challenge seeks to address the most pressing challenges of our time, such as: Global One Health, The Role of Water in Agrifood Systems Transformation, Peste Des Petits Ruminants/PPR (Sheep and goat plague), Food Action Accelerates Climate Action, and Food Loss & Waste.
How it works?
The TRC is a research-based competition consisting of three phases:
- the first one is an open call for researchers to submit a two-page concept note in English that we will send to expert reviewers for evaluation to select the semi-finalists;
- the second phase starts by pairing the semi-finalists teams with mentors to transfer their concept note into a concrete research output;
- the third phase is a second round of evaluation to select the finalists who will pitch their ideas in front of the judges (including FAO Chief Economist and Chief Scientist) at the World Food Forum (WFF) Flagship Event on 16-20 October 2023.
Benefits and Prizes for the winners:
- Research grants to go from idea to action (for Global One Health and PPR Special Prizes)
- Mentorship: Finalist teams will be paired with mentors who are experts in their fields to help transform their concept note into a research output
- Spot at the WFF stage to present your research outputs during the Flagship event in October 2023
- Travel and accommodation in Rome from 16 – 20 October to attend WFF Flagship event.
- Publication of research findings in one of the FAO’s sectoral publications
More information onf the TRC and its special prizes can be found here
If you are a student or a young researcher, submit your application for the Transformative Research Challenge (TRC) 2023 through this form. The deadline is extended until June 9th, 2023.
In addition to that, FAO has launched a Call for mentors and expert reviewers with experience in one or more topics of the Special Prizes to support and guide students and young researchers.
Mentors are requested to assist a team of shortlisted applicants by sharing their expertise and guide them in the development of their submitted two-page concept notes into formal research outputs, which will form the basis of selection for the final round of the TRC in October.
Expert reviewers are requested to assess applicants’ concept notes and provide critical feedback.
If you want to apply as a mentor or an expert reviewer, you can express your interest by sending an email to email@example.com. The deadline is June 9th, 2023.