The extraordinary cultural heritage in the Mediterranean Basin with its fascinating cities rich in history, art, culture and traditions, offers an interesting background for the growth of tourism. Despite the leading role played by this sector, the model of governance developed in the area to date has mostly been focused on coastal resources while important historical centres situated in the inner territories still lack valorisation.
Strengthening and qualifying the potential of the involved areas and increasing their exploitation is the challenge that F.O.P project aims to address by means of a model focused on innovative tourism plans for cultural and environmental heritage. Some selected sites in Italy (Lazio, Basilicata, Campania), Egypt, Spain (Córdoba), Malta (La Valletta), Palestine (Bethlehem), Tunisia (Mahdia) and Lebanon (Byblos), will thus become part of a cross-border network of historical centers in order to mutually strengthen their visibility in the tourism sector. Through the enhancement of these centres, touristic diversification and deseasonalization, and the positioning on broader market segments, the concerned local economies will be boosted and further developed. In addition, a widespread hospitality will also be implemented in Palestine and Egypt in order to stimulate tourism in specific locations with new itineraries including old towns which, despite their value, have never been fully exploited.
|Italian Geographical Society, Italy|
|From 16/12/2013 to 16/12/2015|
|Carmen Torres, c.torres[AT]uni-med.net|
Project related news:
- Future of Our Past- Workshop e tavola rotonda, 25 Maggio 2017, Roma
- Progetto Future of Our Past – Meeting Internazionale e 4° Partner Meeting a Mahdia
- The FOP project about to open the “scattered” hotel in Bethlehem
- Progetto FOP: il primo albergo diffuso a Betlemme
- Bethlehem scattered hotel: developments on the implementation of the FOP pilot project
- The FOP International Forum in Malta on May 13, 2015
- Future of our past partner meeting and Steering Committee meeting