Based on the initiative and sharing its goal, UNIMED proposed the creation of the UNIMED SubNetwork on BlueMed, with the aim of actively contributing to a healthier Mediterranean sea and supporting the dialogue of the UNIMED associated universities with each other and with local, national and regional stakeholders for the development of the Mediterranean Sea cooperation.
– Promoting regional and cross-cutting cooperation between the two shores of the Mediterranean, to create new partnerships and develop joint projects
– Gathering and sharing information, and encouraging knowledge-based policy making
– Supporting universities in the definition of key competences related to the Blue Economy and innovative Blue Technologies
– Facilitate training for a new generation of scientists, professionals and entrepreneurs
– Promoting awareness and understanding around the importance of a sustainable Mediterranean
All in all, the SubNetwork will work to map current actions (to increase synergies and avoid duplication) and encourage best practices exchanges, in fields such as: cleaning the Mediterranean Sea and preserve its ecosystem, adaptation to climate change, protection of coastal areas, ecosystem-based management of aquaculture and fisheries, sustainable tourism, effective maritime spatial planning, observing systems and oceanography, marine and coastal cultural heritage, innovative business and new technologies.